Let’s look back in the history of India, way back 500 or more, you will always see that in order to gain power or prosper formula that has been adapted and still in use is “Divide and Rule”. Be it a Empire or Province or British Rule which has been in India from long time, everyone followed the “Divide and Rule” policy in order gain power.
Let’s look from Empire & Province history, the kings and province authority always displayed a inequality between the have and have-not’s. When they need some work or anything that need to accomplished they used to get the have not and get them the best of class anything they would want. So here you go “give the best to a person, he is with you” - Divide and Rule.
With British ruling us for 200 years, they played the similar method and they never said “NO” to it. They knew that if they need to rule on India, then this is only policy that will help them to gain control the country. So they lure with gifts and packages to the king’s and made them fight against their friend or other state. After sometime British colonies controlled both of them.
With India gaining Independence in 1947, the first “Divide and Rule” policy came into being with separation of Pakistan from India. Then till date we have seen all kinds of politics across the country. “Divide and Rule” has played a very critical role in India and its politics.
Let take a look at some of the past happenings:
- Dividing India into two parts (Pakistan & India) – This was done on religion bases.
- All our elections are fought based on caste, creed and religion.
- Big gap between the poor and rich. All the lure and packages are fully executed for “haves” and in process for “have not's”.
- Minority based politics, where they consider any other religion other than Hinduism is vote bank and they need to lure them.. – (Brahmin, Lingayat, Muslim, Dalit)
- Parties targeting each other not on development, but on their ideology which again breaks down to caste / religion. (BJP being an Hindu dominant party, All other parties do not have religion ideology)
- Division of state just before the election. To lure people for vote bank politics.
- Announcement of new schemes just before the election for everyone on paper, whereas the old schemes are yet to reached to the have-not’s. “Have” do get their share of schemes executed.
Many more, when you look around your state, city or country who will find even we are part or execute or do the same within our daily routine life.
Divide and Rule – Indian Politics – 2 – Focus on Political Parties (Coming Soon)